Try to find a blog post on humor and you’ll find hundreds. Try to find entire blogs dedicated to humor and you’ll have a tougher time. It seems humor in presentations is a topic people want to talk about but not dedicate all their time to. I have to admit, when I researched this post, I didn’t find much either. Nonetheless, here are three blogs dedicated to humor in presentations.
This blog by John Kindle was started in 2006 and may still be using the same style, layout and color scheme it started with. I admire John’s willingness to ride out a blogging style until it makes a comeback, but the site looks very dated.
If you can get past the look, there is a ton of content about humor on this site:
In addition, you can sign up to receive an “Ezine” which (which we now call guides or Ebooks) with resources and links.
Even though I’m teasing about the look of the site, it’s worth checking out if you’re looking for a great resource about humor & presentations. John has spent years sharing his knowledge with the world so I give him full credit to his dedication to this topic.
This blog by David Nihill started strong in 2014 with blog posts and videos with titles such as
- 9 Tips from Comedians to Rock Your Next Presentation
- 25 of the Best Anti-Jokes Ever
- Can Standup Comedy Make You a Better Public Speaker
Lately however, the site seems to have faded. As of this writing, there haven’t been any new posts or YouTube videos since May of 2016. I know David Nihill. He’s been a guest on The Platform Giant Show. He’s an incredibly smart and funny businessman so I hope he continues to share his ideas on this blog dedicated to humor in presentations. Even if he doesn’t, there are some great blog posts that will teach you a great deal about adding humor to your presentations.
This is a new website that holds a lot of promise. Started February of 2017 by Alli Mattson, who’s using her expertise in sketch comedy, improv, and musical improv and combining it with her expertise in Organizational Studies to help presenters use humor better. Only a month old, it already has 9 posts with titles like:
- 5 Creative Ways to Spice Up Your Presentations
- What Speakers can Learn from Comedians About Language and Rhythm
- The Power of Humor in Presentations
I like where this website is going. With its informative posts, clever use of animated GIFs and new content coming out frequently, it’s worth checking out on a weekly basis to see what’s new.
It’s easy to write a blog post about humor and presentations, just like it’s easy to tell one joke. Those who can sustain great content over time are like great comedians. They work at their craft year in and year out producing a body of work the pubic can appreciate.
As you can see from this post, there are those who have been doing it a long time, there are those who started strong and faded and there are those who are rising stars.
This posts servers two purposes. The first is share some great resources dedicated to humor in presentations. The second is to remind you, building a platform takes consistency and commitment. Expertise is built over years. Some will make and some won’t. Your commitment to your topic plays a huge role in your success. Never give up.
- John David Mann Talks About The Recipe for Greatness
- Ryan Rhoten - The DICE Method of Personal Branding
- Inciting Incidents and Career Kred - Ryan Rhoten | Ep. 74
- Author David Fisher talks to Shane Purnell about Hyper-Connected Selling
- Building Rapport and Connection with Others
- Using Rhetorical Devices to Create Magnetic Talks
- Ep. 70 | Vocal Variety - How To Be More Expressive
- Don't Follow Your Passion - Do This Instead
- KNOWN - The Four Secrets of Industry Experts
- What's Your Presentation Persona?
- How to Be More Expressive -Throw Away Words
- Three Pillars of Thought Leadership
- How To Resonate | Todd Henry Ep. 64
- Todd Henry - Finding Your Authentic Voice | Ep. 63
- 5 Reasons Why You Need Public Speaking Skills to Building Your Platform | Ep 62
- Thought Leadership Strategy- Ep. 61 with JD Gershbein
- Thought Leadership - Ep. 60 with JD Gershbein
- Play To Your Strengths
- Preview of Episode 59
- Creating Your Speaking Business Blueprint w/ Alysa Rushton Ep. 58
- Get More Clients with Speaking with Alysa Rushton - Ep. 57
- It's People Skills, People! w/ David J.P. Fisher Ep. 56
- How to Build Relationships at Conferences & Events
- Frames - The Hidden Social Dynamic with Shane Purnell Ep. 54
- Reputation Ratings and Reviews - Ep 53 with Shane Purnell
- Shane Purnell- Building Your Platform Through Podcasting
- Stepping Into The Circle
- The Secret to Being In Demand
- Kim Ades - Developing a Mindset for Success
- Kim Ades - Developing a Mindset for Success
- How to Develop a High Performance Mindset
- The Power of Positioning
- Position Yourself as a Category of One
- The Go-Giver Leader - Bob Burg
- Bob Burg of The Go-Giver Podcast Talks about the 5 Laws of Success
- Tim Sanders - Lessons on Persistence, Management & Networking
- Tim Sanders - Your Knowledge, Your Network & The Art of the Dealstorm
- How To Create Expert Authority on Your Topic
- Creating Interest, Rapport and Meaningful Connections
- The Like Switch - An Ex-FBI Agent Reveals Secrets of Building Rapport
- A Lesson in Digital Influence from John Lincoln
- How To Be a Digital Influencer
- PowerPoint Presentations at the S.H.O.R.E, at the B.E.A.C.H. and at the R.E.S.O.R.T.
- PowerPoint Presentations are a Breeze with Nick Elliott
- Executive Presence and Leadership
- Executive Presence and Personal Branding
- LinkedIn - The Pulse Network & Connecting with Others - Ep32
- Creating a Magnetic LinkedIn Profile
- Public Speaking advice from 9 Experts
- Are You Using Testimonials to Build Credibility?
- Episode 28 | Don't Be a Thought Leader
- Episdoe 27 | Credibility - What is it and How To Get More of It
- Episode 26 | More Funny Talk with David Nihill
- Episode 25 | Shane Purnell Talks with David Nihill
- Episode 24 | 3 Reasons To Build a Platform
- Episode 23 How to Build a Platform
- Episode 22: How To Carve a Platform
- Episode 21 | Ryan Hanley, Author of Content Warfare
- Episode 20 | Ryan Hanley - Author of Content Warfare
- Episode 19 Interview with Dr. Michelle Mazur
- PGS 18 | Heckling
- Episode 17 | Interview with Jonathan Wilson
- Episode 16 | The Power of Connections
- Episode 15 Part 2 of Interview with Shane Purnell and Lisa B. Marshall
- Episode 14 Shane Purnell Talks with Lisa B. Marshall
- Episode 13 | Ryan Avery with Chelsea Avery
- Episode 12 | Interview with Bunkr CEO Alexis Jamet
- Episode 11 | Interview with Jeremey Donovan Part 2
- Episode 10 | Jeremey Donovan - Author of How To Deliver a Ted Talk
- Episode 09 | Scott Schwertly of Ethos3
- Episode 8 | Adam Tratt -CEO and Co-founder of Haiku Deck
- Episode 07 | Microsoft Tools and Storytelling
- Episode 06 | Dr. Julie Connor
- Episode 5 | Don Simon
- Shane Purnell Talks Podcasting with Rob Walch of Libsyn
- About Pages, That's What It's All About
- Episode 002 | The Hero's Journey and Your Personal Brand
- Episode 001 Welcome to The Platform Giant Show